Greetings from Lean Software.
In this Newsletter:
- V3 Production Release
- How to Upgrade to EDT V3
- Getting Started with EDT V3
- New Special Merge codes
- Remote Web Server data Tasks?
V3 now in Production
Companies are now successfully upgrading to EDT V3 - the Production ready release EDT V3.1.50 is now available to download via this link:
How to Upgrade to EDT V3
Please note :
- Tasks you have created in EDT Version 2 tasks will operate as expected in Version 3, without any modification.
- When you edit a version 2 task in version 3 however, the task will be upgraded, the upgraded task file can then not be run in EDT version 2.
- The Excel 2003 version of EDT V3 is planned for release on Wednesday 13th August. Currently V3 supports Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013.
- Backup your EDT V2 task files and backup your EDT V2 application folder.
- Download V3 from the downloads page : you can use either the Setup program - choosing to install to your existing EDT application folder, or download the EDT zip and extract all files to your EDT application folder.
- Run EDT_32.exe for Excel 32 bit, or EDT_64.exe if you have the 64 bit version of MS Office.
- The upgrade is now complete
Getting Started with EDT V3
When running V3 you will see your tasks are now displayed in the new Task Explorer - far left of the Excel ribbon.
Note that V3 will also show any tasks within sub-folders as a separate branch - just like Windows Explorer. This allows you organise tasks into logical groups and sub-groups. Creating a new group is as simple as creating a sub folder, then placing the relevant tasks into the sub folder. The EDT task explorer will build a tree view for you automatically.
As a task designer click the ribbon Login option (default password is 'lean'), you will then see the Modify task and New task options.
Within Task maintenance you will see the new blue help icons - hover over the icons for explanations and design tips.
One the great new features of V3 is the new 'Report' task method, offering an easy way to build fast, network ready, parameterised reports.
You may notice when loading data that V3 is considerably faster than V2 - as a result of us developing new data validation technology.
New Special Merge codes
Additional Special merge codes have been added to EDT.
Merge codes are inserted into SQL code wherever you see the Insert merge code button:
The following new codes have been added to the 'Special merge code' section:
||Evaluates to 'VALIDATE' or 'SEND', depending on the EDT operation
||The user's NT logon name
||The current Domain name, or computer name if not within a domain
||PC computer name
||A string containing hardware serial numbers
||Your companies EDT license Key
||The workstations Local IP address
||The external IP address as assigned by the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
The new merge codes are particular useful when working with remote data or when we need to identify the EDT user.
Remote Web Server data Tasks
Version 3 contains modifications to support Remote data tasks, that is tasks that load or edit data on a Remote Web server.
We are building a detailed help tutorial page to show you how this can now be quite easily achieved with a web server running MS SQL Server.
There are some important security aspects to get right - we will explain this in detail in the step by step tutorial, to be released this Friday 8th August.
Help is at hand
If you have any questions or need help - please do not hesitate to contact us, either directly by email Support@LeanSoftware.net or via the lean Help Desk, or via phone for M10 and above license holders.
We can offer remote screen sharing assistance via Skype or MS Team Viewer, or your chosen screen sharing software.
Wishing you a superb day.
Lean Software Team